Diet and belly fat
Research indicates that people who followed a low-carb diet had a smaller waist circumference in five years than those who didn’t. To reduce abdominal fat, try lowering carbohydrates and increasing protein and fiber intake. Also, eat gut-friendly foods and plenty of healthy fats. People may add apple cider vinegar and plenty of green tea to their diets. Changing the diet won’t necessarily mean shedding abdominal fat first. Eating certain foods and regularly exercising can help with weight loss.
Eating a few common foods may help burn abdominal fat along with doing regular exercises:
- Resveratrol: It can be found in abundance in fruits, peanut butter and dark chocolate. This slows down fat accumulation in the body.
- Red fruits: The deeper the color, the more effective they are at turning off obesity genes. Red fruits, such as apples, can be some of the healthiest foods to eat.
- Choline: Researchers believe it turns off the genes for visceral fat gain. This nutrient is commonly found in eggs.
- Spices and flavors: Cinnamon and ginger may help reduce swelling and slow down fat genes.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is a great way to start the day and if it is a little sweet it may satisfy a person’s sweet tooth. Beans, rice, oats and other fiber can work with the gut bacteria to turn off genes for diabetes.
- Extra plant protein: It can be found in soy or split peas or nuts and seeds, such as almonds, pecans or sunflower seeds. Also, a plant-based protein powder can be added to any smoothie.
- Lean meat: It can help keep the metabolism high. Lean meats include skinless chicken breast, the white meat part of the turkey or the lean cuts of beef.
- Leafy greens, green tea and bright vegetables can help reduce swelling and turn off fat-storage genes. Bright, colorful vegetables also add color and crunch to the meal plan. Drinking green tea has also been shown to reduce abdominal fat. Green tea contains epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). Studies indicate that it effectively reduces abdominal fat.
- Following a low-carb diet also means consuming more protein. Studies indicate that a diet rich in high protein foods, such as eggs, fish, seafood, legumes, nuts, meat and dairy results in overall less abdominal fat, more satiety and an increased metabolic function.
- Adding fiber-rich foods to meals is also a key in keeping off the abdominal fat. Good sources of fiber are foods, such as legumes, oats, psyllium husk, chia seeds as well as vegetables and fruit.
- Studies show that strains of the Lactobacillus family can also help reduce abdominal fat. The research indicates that eating yogurt with this strain reduced body fat by three to four percent in six weeks.
- Fatty fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids helps reduce visceral fat. Research shows that having two to three servings of salmon, herrings, sardines, mackerel and anchovies per week can significantly reduce liver and abdominal fat.
- Some studies show that drinking apple cider vinegar reduces abdominal fat stores. The best way to take it is with water because undiluted vinegar can erode tooth enamel. It is also recommended to take it first thing in the morning to help flush out toxins and cleanse the liver.
What is the best diet to follow for weight loss?
According to research, the Mediterranean diet may aid in weight loss and promote better control of blood glucose (sugar) levels. It also reduces the risk of depression, stroke and Alzheimer’s disease and levels of inflammation (a risk factor of heart attack). The Mediterranean diet focuses on
- Olive oil, which is rich in healthy omega-3 fatty acids
- Whole grains
- Fish (at least a couple of times a week)
- Flavorful herbs and spices
- Occasional poultry, eggs, red meat and glass of wine
- Cheese and yogurt in moderation
Example of Mediterranean diet plan:
- Breakfast: Smoked salmon or a slice of whole-grain toast with half of a mashed avocado.
- Lunch: Gazpacho soup or a spiced lentil salad.
- Dinner: Penne pasta with roasted cherry tomatoes, olives, capers and pine nuts.
Having a glass of wine in moderation is fine. Poultry, eggs, red meat, cheese and yogurt may be added to the diet once a week. People should enjoy food and wine in moderation when socializing with friends and family during meals as part of the prescription.
Mediterranean diet is considered is recommended for
Medically Reviewed on 6/1/2021